LOGO
SHARE:
Cape Town City Hall

This civic structure, in Italian Renaissance style, is a result of an architectural competition held by the Cape Town Municipality in 1894. With its strong British Colonial influences, it is regarded to have been the last major Victorian structure built in Cape Town. In 1998 the exterior restoration was completed. The building housed the Cape Town Library, but is currently used as a cultural centre for music events and contemporary art exhibitions.

Text from 'Walking the City – an architectural journey through the city/ 1666 – 2010'

Image credit: Grant Mclachlan, Matthew Schnetler

 

 


View Larger Map
LOGO
 

   

Re-scripting Architecture/Architecture ZA 2012 is proudly partnered with the South African Institute of Architects, Cape Institute for Architecture, University of Cape Town, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.

ramp